Important publications, articles, and papers not included in any of the series listed on the site. Most are available on-line.
Alfred Cowles, 3rd, 1933–1985
- “Can Stock Market Forecasters Forecast?” A paper read before a joint meeting of the Econometric Society and the American Statistical Association, Cincinnati, Ohio, December 31, 1932 and reprinted in Econometrica (July 1933), 1(3): 309–324.
- “Analysis of 4½ Years of Forecasting by 41 Advisory Services and Publications,” Stock Market Technique (April 1933), 2(2): esp. pp. 5–9.
- “Some a Posteriori Probabilities in Stock Market Actions” (with Herbert E. Jones), reprinted in Econometrica (July 1937), 5(3): 280–294.
- “Obituary: Alfred Cowles, 3rd, 1891–1984,” Econometrica (May 1985), 53(3): 683
Annual Research Conferences on Economics and Statistics, 1935–1940
- Program of the 1st Annual Research Conference, Summer 1935 (Program)
- Report of the 2nd Annual Research Conference, July 6–August 8, 1936 (119pp report with abstracts of lectures presented)
- Report of the 3rd Annual Research Conference, June 28–July 23, 1937 (109pp report with abstracts of lectures presented)
- Report of the 4th Annual Research Conference, July 5–29, 1938 (106pp report with abstracts of lectures presented)
- Report of the 5th Annual Research Conference, July 3–28, 1939 (93pp report with abstracts of lectures presented)
- Report of the 6th Annual Research Conference, July 1–26, 1940 (99pp report with abstracts of lectures presented)
Cowles Commission, Special Papers, 1947–1954
- No. 1. John R. Menke, “Nuclear Fission as a Source of Power,” Econometrica (October 1947), 15(4): 314–333.
- No. 2. Sam H. Schurr, “The Economic Aspects of Atomic Energy as a Source of Power,” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (September 1946), 2(5-6): 1–4; Proceedings Supplement of American Economic Review (May 1947), 37(2): 98–117. With discussion by Lewis N. Dembitz, Philip Sporn, Sam Schurr, and Jacob Marschak.
- No. 3. Tjalling C. Koopmans, “Uses of Prices,” Proceedings of the Conference on Operations Research in Production and Inventory Control, Cleveland: Case Institute of Technology, 1954, pp. 1-7.
Cowles Commission, Special Publications 1935–1956
- Harold T. Davis and William F. C. Nelson, Elements of Statistics, 2nd ed., Bloomington: Principia Press, March 1937, 434pp (12,564 kb). This is a revised and enlarged edition of the first edition, published in 1935.
- Sam H. Schurr and Jacob Marschak, Economic Aspects of Atomic Power, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950. 289pp (11,735 kb). An analysis of the potential applicability of atomic power in selected industries and its economic effects in both industrialized and underdeveloped areas.
- H. S. Houthakker, assisted by Lester G. Telser, Commodity Futures: A Study in the Economics of Uncertainty. A study of commodity futures markets which investigates the reaction of groups concerned with these markets to uncertainty about future developments. [Note: This monograph was never completed, Chapter 1 appears as CFDP 44 (1957).]
- Jacob Marschak, Income, Employment, and the Price Level, Augustus M. Kelley, 1951, 1951, 101pp (2,124 kb). Notes on class lectures by Jacob Marschak. Autumn, 1948 and 1949, edited and with a Preface by David I. Fand and Harry Markowitz.
- Martin J. Beckmann and C. B. McGuire and Christopher B. Winsten, Studies in the Economics of Transportation (7,259 kb), Yale University Press, 1956, 232pp. This exploratory study of highway and railroad systems examines their theoretical aspects and develops concepts and methods for assessing the capabilities and efficiency of existing and projected traffic systems.
Commission/Foundation, Miscellaneous, 1952–1999
- Carl F. Christ, “History of the Cowles Commission, 1932–1952,” in Economic Theory and Measurement: A Twenty Year Research Report
- Kenneth E. Boulding, “Review Note of Economic Theory and Measurement: A Twenty Year Research Report, 1932-1952,” Kyklos, Nr. 2, Band 6.
- Marc Nerlove, forward by Olav Bjerkholt, “Some Notes on Cournot and the Bargaining Problem,” (August 1953)
- Clifford Hildreth, “The Cowles Commission in Chicago, 1939-1955,” Center for Economic Research Discusson Paper No. 225, University of Minnesota, October 1985
- Carl F. Christ, “The Cowles Commission’s Contributions to Econometrics at Chicago, 1939–1955,” Journal of Economic Literature, 32(1) (March 1994), pp. 30–59
- Richard William Farebrother, “A Memoir on the Life of Harold Thayer Davis (1892-1974),” The Manchester School (September 1999), 67(4): 603-610
50th Anniversary Celebration, June 3-4, 1983
- Arrow, Kenneth J., “Cowles in the History of Economic Thought”
- Debreu, Gerard, “Mathematical Economics at Cowles”
- Malinvaud, Edmond, “Econometric Methodology at the Cowles Commission: Rise and Maturity”
- Solow, Robert M., “Cowles and the Tradition of Macroeconomics”
James Tobin, 1986–1996
- William Breit and Roger W. Spencer, eds., Lives of the Laureates, Seven Nobel Economists: JAMES TOBIN. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1986, pp. 113-135
- Mahbub ul Haq, Inge Kaul, and Isabelle Grunberg, eds., The Tobin Tax. Oxford University Press, 1996
Tjalling C. Koopmans and Leonid V. Kantorovich, 2008
- Johanna Bockman (George Mason University) and Michael A. Bernstein (Tulane University), “Scientific Community in a Divided World: Economists, Planning, and Research Priority during the Cold War,” Comparative Studies in Society and History (2008), 50(3): 581-613